Q: How do you paint a commercial building?
A: The basics of commercial painting are the same as those of residential painting. Both of them involve surface prep work, painting, and cleanup. But since commercial buildings are businesses, there’s the added element of professional expectations from the owners, customers, and staff alike. After all, the outer and inner appearance of a commercial painting is a reflection of the business.
Commercial painters follow a system in their trade that ensures on-time and on-budget completion of the project while keeping the disruption to business operations to a minimum – not to mention quality results. When considering having your commercial building painted, it’s best to seek professional services to ensure your job is done right the first time.
Q: How often should commercial buildings be painted?
A: Industry standards recommend repainting commercial buildings every 3-5 years to keep them looking fresh, updated, and professional. However, it depends on how well the last paint job protects against foot traffic or weather elements. Some factors could shorten a paint job’s lifespan. For instance, buildings directly exposed to sunlight will likely fade more than buildings protected by shade. Vivid colors usually fade faster than neutrals.
Q: How long does it take to paint a commercial building?
A: The timeline for painting a commercial building is dependent on several factors:
- How big is the commercial building in question?
- Do you need the interior or exterior to be painted or both?
- How qualified is the painter or painting company you want to hire for the project?
- What brand or quality of paint will they be using?
- How many coats are required?
- What is the current weather situation? Remember that exterior paint projects can sometimes be delayed because of long periods of heavy rain.
- How long do you have for the job to be completed? The time or season also plays a significant part in the completion of the project.
With those factors in mind, creating a plan for your commercial painting project can help you figure out how long it will take to complete.
Q: How many coats of paint are applied in your commercial painting projects?
A: Two coats of paint are usually the minimum required unless specified otherwise. Additional coats may be needed depending on if the paint color is drastically changing.
Q: How much paint will you need to complete your commercial painting projects?
A: It depends on the size of your commercial space. The first thing to do is measure the total square footage of the interior or/and exterior areas you need to paint.
Remember that a gallon of paint typically covers around 300 square feet of smooth surfaces. That, and for a paint of good quality, expect to pay between $50 to $75 per gallon. For example, 4,800 square feet of flat surfaces could cost around $1,200 for paint.
The more walls require painting, or if the surfaces are textured, you will need more paint.
Q: What paint finishes do you usually use in commercial buildings?
A: Commercial buildings typically experience a lot of foot traffic. For these, we recommend using higher-gloss paints. They resist scuffing, stains, moisture, and grease much better than flat or matte finishes. Thus, they can stand up to frequent cleaning, wiping, scrubbing, and washing much better than flat.
Higher-gloss paints are more reflective, almost mirror-like, but can also reveal surface imperfections. A finish acts as a sealer that serves as a protective quality, making higher-gloss paints ideal for those high-traffic areas.
But if you want a “quieter” or less reflective finish, the preferred choice would be flat and matte finishes. You will want to remember that these finishes do not offer much durability and do poorly when cleaned or scrubbed. If you have to do frequent cleaning, flat or matte finishes won’t hold up well.
The list below specifies the various types of paint finishes:
- Flat (matte) finish — Little to no shine at all. This finish is excellent for covering imperfections on the surface but is not the most durable option.
- Eggshell finish – This low-luster finish provides a small amount of shine. Eggshell finishes are great in areas that do not get very dirty (i.e., low-traffic areas such as an entryway or closet).
- Satin finish – This popular finish is for interior spaces in commercial buildings, homes, and other residential areas like apartments and condominiums. This finish has a velvety sheen. It’s easy to clean, so that you can use it in high-traffic areas like restaurant kitchens, restrooms, washrooms, hallways, and entryways.
- Semi-gloss – This finish has more shine and reflective qualities than other finishes. It’s great for rooms with regular traffic and steam, such as bathrooms, as the finish is mildew-resistant.
- High-gloss – This finish is the shiniest, most durable, and easiest to clean. This type of paint is perfect for cabinetry, doors, and trim. You can use this finish for interior walls for a dramatic effect and luxurious feel.
Q: Can I do anything to make a commercial paint job last longer?
A: The best way to ensure the longevity of your commercial paint job is to contract the work to a professional commercial painting company like Custom Painting, Inc. They use only the best products available, do careful and thorough prep work, and use the latest painting techniques for a solid, beautiful, and long-lasting finish.
Q: Why should we hire Custom Painting, Inc.?
A: Custom Painting, Inc. is a licensed, insured, and bonded company that has been providing residential and commercial paint jobs in the Bay Area for over 40 years. In addition to exterior and interior painting, we offer other services like painting and refinishing kitchen cabinets, removing popcorn ceilings, and custom work like installing crown molding and wainscoting.
We are proud to be a locally established, owned, and operated company that serves communities across the Bay Area. Our business has focused on quality workmanship, honest communication, and friendly customer service. We combine the latest in paint technology with time-honored values to exceed the expectations of every client.
As for the quality of our work, we stand by it on all our projects with a one-year warranty. Extended warranties and a one-year warranty on floor work are also available.
As experts in everything paint, we work efficiently and consistently to deliver professional service on every project, regardless of size. Are you planning your next commercial paint job? Call us at 925-294-8062 to speak with us, or fill out the online form to receive a free estimate.