House painting in Concord is the best way to enhance the exterior of your home. To achieve exterior painting success, you can follow the tips below.
1. Wash and clean the whole exterior of your house. Consider using a wire brush if the surface needs more exhaustive cleaning. To clean the uppermost part of the house, you may want to use a pressure washer since the high pressured water will reach the upper areas. This tool will speed up the cleaning process. Using a pressure washer will also provide a cleaner, better-looking surface. Be careful when using a pressure washer, however, as the wrong pressure or angle that it is being used may actually damage the home’s surface.
To kill mold and mildew present on your exterior walls, use TSP (trisodium phosphate) and bleach mixed together. This mixture will also prevent the growth of mold and mildew in the future. Expect this step to take a bit of time since you will want to make sure that all the dust, dirt, mold, mildew, grease, and grime are removed. After all the cleaning and washing, let the surface dry completely. The underlying material may be wood and it may absorb the water.
2. When you see that the paint is peeling, scrape or sand the surface before applying a new coat of paint. This is a very important and crucial step, because the paint will not adhere to the surface properly. It will also peel with the older paint. You can also try Sanding to remove the old paint. This process roughs up the surface of the wall which enables the paint to adhere to the wall better, and last longer. Sure, it takes quite some time to scrape and sand the surface, but you will see professional looking results that are worth it.
After sanding, take time to remove the dust and paint chips, even if it means washing the surfaces all over again. You will also need to allow the surfaces to dry completely again, as well, prior to painting.
3. If you find any flaws such as small holes, cracks, or exposed edges, repair them with caulk. If the surface is too damaged, you may need to replace it rather than trying to repair it. Inspect window and door frames, as welll as trim and exposed edges and corners where there are cracks that may not be easily noticeable. Repair and caulk these flaws completely. Smoothen the applied caulk, and let it dry thoroughly. Depending on the type of caulk, sanding may be needed before the surface can be painted. It is best to read the caulk’s instructions to determine what is needed.
4. Use masks. There are two types of masks you will want to use. One is a face mask that will protect your nose, eyes, mouth, and lungs from getting dust and scrapings in them when prepping the walls. Another kind of mask is the masking tape to cover the trim, outdoor electrical outlets, windows, and other areas where paint is not needed.
5. While priming is not really necessary, it is recommended in order to achieve successful exterior painting. Priming helps the top coat of paint to adhere better, as well as last longer. It also makes it easier to change the color of paint on your home. Use only good quality primer to achieve the best results.
Following these tips will help you achieve successful exterior painting. Of course, hiring a professional painting contractor will help you get the excellent exterior paint finish you want when house painting in Concord.