You want perfect house painting in Pleasanton so you have decided to hire a professional contractor. You think choosing a paint contractor is as easy as ABC. Sure, having someone else do the job for you is easier than doing the painting yourself. There are some things to learn about hiring the right contractor.
Many do-it-yourselfers (DIYers) understand or realize that house painting in Pleasanton is much harder than it looks. This is why many DIYers decide it’s time to hire a professional to take on the job, especially when the project is big. For these homeowners, nothing can surpass the quality of work of a true professional.
When is the right time to hire a painting contractor? Here are signs that will help you decide if it’s time:
- When the surface has mold or mildew. This is caused by excessive moisture that has not evaporated from the surface.
- Flaking, peeling, or cracking paint
- Fading paint
- Chalking paint on painted masonry
- Efflorescence on painted masonry
- You just want to update the look of your house and are tired of the color
- You want to remove old wallpaper and cover the walls with paint
- Areas in your house need repairs. This could be as simple as cracks and nail grooves on the walls or ceilings, or surfaces that have unsightly stains or are just dingy-looking
- Your house has a popcorn ceiling and you want to get rid of it
- You have new furnishings in your house. For example, you’ve bought a new red couch and think that the wall’s existing color needs to be changed to create harmony with your furniture.
- You need areas of your house to be renovated
If you see one or more of these items relate to your home then it’s time to hire someone else to do house painting in Pleasanton (and so much more). But how do you find the right one? Here are the factors to help you in choosing a professional painting contractor:
- Choose a painter that has experience. Most inexpensive contractors lack experience. They may charge less because they don’t have an idea on how to adequately factor in all their costs. As a result, the painter does the job on a rush, uses substandard materials (cheap, low-end paints), will not return your phone calls, and won’t return to the job if there’s a problem. This type of contractor only wants to make quick cash. In the end, if you choose an inexpensive painter, you may shell out more to correct their inferior job.
It is better hire a contractor that has experience. He may charge more, but there is a reason why their pricing are higher. They often use better paints and do quality work. They perform high-quality service, have fostered good relations with their clients, and built a good reputation over the years. You can be assured that the paint job will last longer if you hire an experienced contractor even if they are more expensive.
- Do a diligent online search about paint contractors in Pleasanton and nearby towns. Then pick three painters who you think are reputable and competent. Get their contact numbers and do phone interviews with each of them. Ask them important questions like if they use their own employees or employ subcontractors (usually, companies who have their own employees are the better ones). Also, ask them if they can give you a list of their previous clients. If they are willing to give you the list, then it’s a good sign.
- Based on your phone interviews, arrange a separate face-to-face meeting with each of the contractors to get estimates. If they are willing to come to your house, look around and inspect your house, do an estimate and discuss over important things with you, then you’ll know this contractor should be good to work with.
- During the meeting, it is crucial that you and the contractor communicate well because he will be in your home for hours at a time. Check your state’s consumer protection agency and the local Better Business Bureau to find out if the contractors have any disputes with past clients or have received any complaints from them.
- If the contractor gave you a list of references you will want to contact their previous clients and talk to them regarding the time they spent with the contractors. Better yet, ask if you can visit their homes to inspect the finished work. If the paint job has been holding well for at least six months to a year, then it’s a good sign. Ask the clients about their past relations with the contractors. Were they courteous? Did they finish the job on time? Were they careful with the homeowner’s property? If most of the clients answer yes, then you’re on the right track.
- Compare the bids you received, as well as the reports from past clients. As far as the estimate is concerned you can divide the cost of materials, labor, profit margins, and other expenses to determine who is best suited to your needs.
- It’s important to know that the contractors are also licensed and insured. You will want a contract that lists every aspect of the project: a proof of liability insurance, and compensation payments for the workers, and the payment schedule. The contract should also contain the start date for the project, completion date of the project, and the specific materials to be used. You must also ask that the contractor obtain a lien release, which will cover you in case he doesn’t pay his employees.
- Don’t forget to ask for a warranty and to request a written copy of it. Any respectable contractor will most likely provide a warranty on their work. As soon as you receive the copy of the warranty, read it thoroughly. If you have some questions regarding the warranty, discuss them with the contractor.
Whether you need to have the walls repaired and repainted, or you just want to update the look of your home, this is the right time to hire someone to do the painting for you. The process of choosing the right painting contractor may not be simple as it seems but once you’ve done it, you’ll be glad that you have found the perfect candidate to do house painting in Pleasanton.