House painting in Concord can simply be a day’s activity or a week-long undertaking, depending on the scope and complexity of the project. If you have a big house painting project at hand, it makes sense to hire professional help instead of going the DIY route.
However, you just can’t hire someone on the spot if you’re after for quality work. Although considerably less taxing than painting a house by yourself, hiring a professional painting contractor takes some work, such as researching, asking around, interviewing candidates, etc. But once you’ve hired the right contractor for your house painting project, it will be worth all the time and effort.
Here are the steps and tips to help you choose which contractors to hire and which ones to avoid.
What to look for when hiring a house painting contractor?
There are many ways to assess the quality of painting contractors in your area that you’re considering hiring:
- Online reviews
- Customer testimonials – Usually on the contractors’ official websites.
- Contacting references – Get at least three references from a contractor’s past customers.
- Reviewing past projects
- Current standing with the Better Business Bureau – Check the Better Business Bureau website to see if the contractors have resolved customer complaints.
Another crucial factor is to consider contractors who are:
- Licensed – Any contractor operating within the State of California must be licensed by the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) to operate legally, with some exceptions. Ask every contractor you’re considering hiring to provide you with a valid and updated business license.
- Insured – If painting contractors are licensed, they are most likely insured. Hiring a contractor with general liability insurance and worker’s compensation insurance is preferable. Also, their coverage should be no less than $1,000,000, so make sure to mention that when screening potential contractors.
What makes a house painter worth hiring?
Most professional house painting contractors are equipped to do any paint job, from cabinetry to a single room to the entire house. A reputable and high-quality painting contractor should have years of experience with all types of surfaces, products, tools, equipment, and environments. Additionally, the pros have access to paints and supplies they might need and are usually given significant discounts.
Working with a reputable painting contractor guarantees a quick job of the highest quality.
While every painting contractor is different, it’s always essential to ask and be clear about the services they offer. However, the following list is what you typically expect from a professional house painter:
- An up-front discussion of your expectations and what your contractor can realistically provide.
- The paint crew will prepare the surface they will paint. Suppose your house needs significant repairs or custom installation before painting. In that case, many contractors, such as Custom Painting, Inc., offer other services like drywall repair, wood rot repair and replacement, custom crown molding, etc.
- The paint crew will prepare the space they will paint by removing or covering furniture and décor, as well as tape areas that are not going to be painted.
- Apply paint (usually two coats of it) on walls and ceilings.
- Paint baseboards and trim.
- Touch up missed areas and spots.
- Final walkthrough and evaluation.
Asking the contractors for an estimate
Not all painting contractors are the same, so expect them to price their jobs differently. How will you get the fairest price for quality service? It’s by requesting painting contractors for an estimate.
While making an estimate request, it’s essential to consider the following factors:
- Does the contractor charge by the size of the space or by the hour? The cost can vary depending on the type and condition of the walls, as well as the painter’s experience, company, and location.
- What is included in the prep work and painting process? Although many painters normally use a specific brand of paint, they may also consider your preferred paint brand to be used for the project. You should also ask them about the number of coats needed and the cost of additional coats of paint.
- Read and review a written contract that provides the scope of the project and explains what you and the contractor have agreed upon is crucial to have in writing. Having all the details in writing will protect you and the painting contractor in case of miscommunication during the project and will prevent any “hidden” charges or surprise fees.
Questions to ask the painting contractor
Don’t make assumptions about painting contractors. Ask the contractor the following essential questions during your initial discussion. The following is a suggested “hiring a painter” checklist:
- “Will the costs of paints and supplies be included in the estimate?”
- “What type of paint (brand and grade) will you be using?” If you want to use your preferred brand and grade of paint, you and the contractor should discuss about this.
- “How many coats of paint are included?”
- “Will you move furniture or cover them?”
- “How will you protect the areas not being painted?”
- “How many painters will work at my house?”
- “How long will the job take?”
- “Should I vacate my house while your crew is working?”
- “Will you clean up after the project is completed?”
Get the warranty in writing
A quality paint job should last around ten years, depending on several factors, like the weather conditions in your area. Any reputable painting contractor should offer a written warranty after the project is completed, proving that they stand behind their work. A warranty details what they will and will not cover after completing the painting job. You should steer clear of a vague warranty that’s been spoken to you in person or on the phone – get the terms in writing.
Following these tips above will guarantee an experienced, professional, licensed, and insured contractor.
Your home is your biggest asset. While you can paint it by yourself, having an experienced and licensed professional painting contractor will get you quality and long-lasting results in your house painting in Concord. Contact Custom Painting, Inc. by calling 925-686-0903 to get a free estimate and discuss your painting needs.