Home painting in San Ramon can seem boring if you use the same colors all over again each time you paint the interior of your home. Consider adding an accent wall to break up the ‘ho-hum’ in your home. In this article, you can use these tips to create an accent wall to make your room more interesting.
You may have purchased the perfect paint to match your hard-to-match loveseat, but you think painting the entire room with this color would be overwhelming. You don’t have to have an all-or-nothing mentality regarding painting. Adding an accent wall is one way to have the best of both worlds – a splash of color without “drowning” the room.
Are accent walls still in style?
Accent walls are still very much in style. They are a quick, easy, and flexible way to decorate your home, which is why it remains popular in interior design. You have unlimited color and design options for an accent wall. What better way to make your space truly personal, unique, and memorable than by adding an accent wall?
Use an accent wall in each area of your home. And yes, you can use it even in your hallway or foyer. Use the accent color on the wall behind your hard-to-match loveseat (or any other furnishing or decor) to help it stand out from the other items in the room.
You can also use an accent wall in the dining room to showcase your grandmother’s antique buffet or china cabinet. Or you can paint an accent wall of your small under-the-stairs office nook with a color different from the rest of the area.
Wherever you want to draw attention is the perfect place for an accent wall. Let your personality shine in your space with a colorful accent wall.
The importance of an accent wall
Interior decorators will tell you the importance of having one dominant color in a room along with one subordinate color and at least one if not two, accent colors. If your loveseat (or other furnishing or decor) has the dominant color for decorating, you could use that color for the accent wall.
Does your family have a piece of artwork that you would like to draw attention to in the room? Using a subordinate color used in each piece could make the perfect choice for the accent color behind the paintings. In a kitchen, if you have granite or marble cabinet tops, you can choose a color from this surface to use as the accent. It will help your room feel more coordinated.
How to add a stunning accent wall
There are no specific rules when it comes to painting an accent. It doesn’t always have to be one color. It even doesn’t have to involve just painting. The tips below may surprise you, but you might be glad to consider them:
- Go beyond the usual one solid color. Think out of the box when adding an accent wall. Why not paint your accent wall with two, three, or as many colors as you like? For a specialty finish, you can paint your accent wall with horizontal or vertical stripes, checkered patterns, geometric patterns, and other designs.
- Consider texture. There is more to accent walls than paint. If you want to keep the current color in your room but want a slight variation and interest, you can add texture to your accent wall. To create exciting patterns, consider texturing it with thick paint, wet plaster, or joint compound. Or have you thought of adding wood slats, pebbles, stones, or tiles to create your accent wall? Or add metallic finishes to brighten up the room. These ideas can make your accent wall look even more stunning.
- Don’t shy away from bold colors. You can gather ideas from the vivid accents around your room and use them to coordinate with your accent wall color. Or linger around in your backyard garden and pick some color inspiration from your favorite flowers. The bottom line is, choose whatever colors that make you happy.
- Put on the wallpaper. With easy-to-apply-and-remove products widely available today, wallpapers are making a big comeback. You can use wallpapers to create a designer look for your accent wall without the long-term commitment. There are hundreds of beautiful wallpaper colors, designs, and textures. Once you want a new design, you can easily change it up.
- Go big with a mural – Murals are scaled-up versions of the regular framed artwork that can dramatically change the ambiance of a room. But because murals usually cover the entire wall, they’re pretty challenging to pull off – probably why many homeowners fear committing to it. But if you’re brave enough to choose this route, you should go with a mural concept that will complement your style because you’ll only have one chance to get the design right the first time. For example, an image of a forest can instantly transform your space into a quiet retreat, or a photo of geometric shapes of different colors can give your room a fun, retro vibe.
- Choose your wall wisely. To paint an accent wall, choose a wall that does not have windows or doors. Of course, if you have a picture window with a great view of the outdoors, you should use an accent color to draw the eye to the view. Or choose a wall to draw attention to the room’s natural focal point. This could be a beautiful fireplace, a grand piano, or an architectural feature that draws attention when you walk into the room.
- Paint an accent wall in a neutral room. Consider adding an accent wall if you want to keep things neutral in your room. You can use the same color palette, but the color for your accent wall should be a few shades darker or bolder. Or you can choose a color completely different than anything in the room, such as blue and red. Whichever color option you prefer, it will bring drama to your neutral room without overwhelming it.
- “Shape” your room with an accent wall. An accent wall can give the illusion of a different size or shape room. Many homes have oblong rooms. Creating an accent wall with a darker color will make the room seem shorter. Take time to play with the colors and designs to make your room seem higher, shorter, wider, or narrower.
An accent wall can create a bold statement to your living space sans the total commitment. It allows you to experiment with different colors, designs, and textures. An accent wall is a fantastic way to try something different without overwhelming your space.
But if you’re still unsure about using an accent wall when you start home painting in San Ramon, turn to paint contractors like Custom Painting, Inc. They can help you make the most of your interior painting.