People everywhere finally understand how their actions affect the environment. Use these tips for eco-friendly painting for Alamo homes and businesses. You will be able have your home or business repainted and protect the environment, as well.
Many of the paints normally used by painting contractors contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs can adversely affect your health especially when you spend extended amounts of time in an enclosed area with them. The longer you are exposed to VOCs, the worse it is for those with allergies or sensitivities to them.
Luckily, for those with allergies to VOCs or sensitivities, there are now “green” paints available. You can request that anyone painting your Alamo home or business use these paints. There are natural paints, made with all-natural ingredients, as well as zero VOC and low VOC paints.
These paints are also better on the environment because they do not contain toxins and do not require petroleum-based cleaners. Ask the painting contractors you are considering if they offer these types of paints.
Other eco-friendly tips include:
- Use quality, hand-made painting tools made from natural materials. While the price may be a little higher than synthetic tools, if properly cared for, they will last longer than synthetic.
- Painter’s putty has a myriad of uses. A natural painter’s putty will be non-toxic, hypoallergenic and very low in VOCs.
- Work with painting contractors in Alamo that use eco-friendly paints. If they do not use them regularly, you can request a specific paint and most will honor that request. Some eco-friendly paint manufacturers to be aware of include Benjamin Moore, Dunn-Edwards Paint, Sherwin Williams, Natural Interior Paint and Frazee Paints. Of course, these may not be all be available where you live, but you will at least have an idea of where to begin looking.
- Avoid paints that contain formaldehyde. High concentrations of this gas can cause watery eyes at a minimum but may also cause a burning sensation in the throat, nausea and difficulty breathing. They may trigger asthma attacks.
- Seal up the vents and ducts of the home prior to having any painting done. This will prevent chemicals and dust from getting into the duct system. With fewer chemicals and dust in the system, the better the chance of circulating them throughout the building.
- Be careful how you clean up after you paint. A painting company that is doing the painting in your Alamo home or business will know how to handle leftover paint as well as how to clean the brushes, rollers and other equipment. If you choose to do the painting yourself, pay attention to whether the paint cleans up with water or a solvent and then follow those instructions carefully.
Maintaining a healthy home or business is not difficult although it may take some effort. Using these tips for eco-friendly painting of Alamo homes and businesses may help create a healthier property. Try them out today.